Wandlebury Country Park is near the Gog Magog Hills just south of Cambridge. This countryside estate offers miles of wonderful walks through woodland and wildflower meadows, grazed by highland cattle.
This is an easy circular walk that can be completed in 1-1.5 hours.
Wandlebury Country Park Map
Here is the official map of Wandlebury Country Park, taken from the leaflet that is available near the car park. The map demonstrates the routes available and the different landscapes to explore.
About Wandlebury Country Park
The park features 110 acres of parkland including woods, meadows, an 18th century country estate, a walled garden, ponds and an orchard.
Wandlebury Park was purchased in 1954 by members of the charity Cambridge, Past, Present and Future.
The charity seek to raise funding each year to keep the park open to the public, maintain the historic features and help protect the wildlife habitats.
Wandlebury Country Park opening Times
The park is open every day of the year from dawn until dusk.
Wandlebury Country Park Parking
Entry is FREE but car parking charges apply (tickets are valid all day):
Monday-Friday = £3.15
Saturdays = £3.50
Sundays & Bank Holidays = £3.90
The car parking machine only accepts card payment.
Cycling is not allowed in the park. There are bike racks in the car park.
Sourced from the Wandlebury Country Park website.
History of Wandlebury Country Park
Horse Racing Fame
It is thought that the main purpose of the Wandlebury Estate was for keeping horses for racing. Tregonwell Frampton was the horse trainer of King Charles II and James II, who raced horses at Newmarket. He started building the stables in 1685.
All thoroughbred famous race horses descend from three stallions. One of them was called Godolphin Arabian, who was stabled at Wandlebury from 1733-53. Despite not ever running in a race, he was the father of some of the best race horses to have ever existed.
The grave of the famous Godolphin Arabian horse is located under the archway near the toilets.
After the death of Tregonwell Frampton in 1728, the estate was inherited by Lord Francis Godolphin. He enlarged the stables and built a house which was completed in 1735. Lord Godolphin died in 1766 and his cousin, another Francis, inherited the estate. Over the years the estate passed through various families, ending with the Gray family in 1954.
Today you the only buildings you can see that remain are the stables. The original house was demolished in the 1950’s due to rot.
Iron Age Hill Fort
The hill fort is circular and has a diameter of 320m. It became a Historic England listed site in 1925.
The site was strategically placed on the ridge of the Gog Magog Hills. There are around 150 similar hill forts across the country. The fort had a double rampart and ditch.
Iron Age pottery and artefacts have been found here during various archaeological digs.
Wandlebury appears in the 10th century ‘Chronicle of Ramsey Abbey’ as the name Wendlesbiri.
Roman coins were discovered in 1685 during the construction of a cellar.
Wandlebury Country Park Coffee
There is a little coffee van available to purchase coffee and snacks from on the weekends. It is located near the education centre.